Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The laundry has taken over



I literally have laundry hanging from the chandelier. What can I say - the light fixture looked like a good drying rack.  Please don't give me credit for being super green. It's less frustrating than finding damp laundry in the dryer over and over. The dryer takes at least an hour and a half to dry a normal load. Cloth diapers take more like two hours. What mom has two hours? 



                        
The only other time I let my laundry air dry was in Kenya. The school did not have a washing machine or dryer (no great surprise), so we hand washed our clothes in a bucket of soapy water.


I was there during the dry season which meant no rain for months. No rain meant dust - dust like you wouldn't believe. Dirt was suspended in the air in invasive fine particles. My pants changed colors from the red dirt embedded in the weave of the fabric.


Laundry isn't my favorite household chore even when I have a washing machine. I procrastinated washing my clothes by hand until I was down to my last pair of underwear. By the time I finished washing my suitcase load of clothes, my knuckles were bleeding (could have avoided that if I'd had bar soap). After that, I tried to do laundry more often and less thoroughly.


By the end of the month, I gave into the dust. You just couldn't get away from it. Also, the showers were open air without hot water. I didn't have the metabolic fortitude to scrub with cold water for that long.


As for my laundry now, I'm just hoping our house sells soon so I can reclaim my washer and dryer. Here's to the front loading washing machine with the spin cycle that sounds like a helicopter lift off. I miss 40 minute dry times. In the meantime, we should avoid turning on the chandelier.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails