Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child

Prov. 22:15 "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him."
One of my dear friends (a mother of five) quoted this verse to me weeks before G was born. I believed her, after all, when you have five children under five years old, you should know what is bound up in the heart of a child. I didn't realize how soon that heart would show itself.

My girl loves to be naked. She actually calms down when you change her diaper because she is able to lie naked on the changing table. It also makes bath time a big hit. As a treat, we let her play disrobed in the sun or near a heat vent to stay warm. Recently, she started showing her displeasure at being dressed again.

We already knew that she had a temper (even the nursery workers noticed when she was less than two months old). She's just finding new ways to show it. Recently, she started shrieking hysterically every time I dressed her, showing no compassion for my mangled sense of hearing. It's a little young for the "rod of discipline" (I think her time outs would be approximately 20 seconds). All I can do is ignore the screaming and persevere in dressing her. Yet another interesting lesson in the human condition courtesy of Gwennan Ellis.





In case you think me insensitive that I took pictures of my daughter crying instead of cuddling her, well, yeah, that's what I did. Maybe I will correct that behavior next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails