Monday, February 28, 2011

Black Eyed Pea Chili

image source
If Tim is ever offered a final meal, this is it. Black Eyed Pea Chili. The recipe yields 6-8 servings, and it usually takes Tim two days to devour the leftovers. Best part of this hubby pleasing soup, it's so easy. I made it last night for our middle school volunteers and had several requests for the recipe, so I thought I'd just share it with all my readers.

Note - This recipe was passed down to me from my wonderful momma. I want to make sure she gets due credit.

Ingredients
1 lb. sausage, browned and drained (I use italian turkey sausage, but I grew up with regular pork sausage)
3 14 oz. cans of unseasoned black eyed peas, drained
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 t oregano
1 t rosemary
Salt to taste
Crushed red pepper to taste

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a large soup pot with lid and simmer until flavors meld - about 30 minutes. Or place in crock pot and heat on low for 2-3 hours (high for 1 hour).

Top with your favorite chili accoutrements: shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, etc...

2 comments:

  1. we eat this often!! You shared the recipe with me a few years ago when you were here on a mission trip. One of our favorites!
    ~Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel especially honored if JP eats this frequently. Glad you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails