Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sweet Potato Skillet Fries

Out in the warm sun, I planted potatoes today, buried them under soil and manure. Growing potatoes is new to me, a gardening adventure. This year's garden is my biggest yet, with plans for four season planting. It's my pet project right now.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this: For my drive to Knoxville, I stayed awake by listening to my kindle {always a treat} read World War Z by Max Brooks. Yep - an apocalyptic zombie novel. Not what I would usually pick up, but a trusted friend lent a copy to me. Here's what I learned: if zombies ever do attack, the people who survive best are the ones who can grow their own food. Must learn how to garden. Foraging is even better - maybe I should sign up for the city park edible plants course.

I jest. I churned the soil and bought the potatoes before I ever listened to the novel. I just like watching life spring from the ground.

Thanks to my time spent outside in the afternoons, we're in a perpetual 'breakfast for dinner' mode. I haven't made the switch to a summer menu yet. My soup pot feels too heavy, but we're not quite to salad mode. As a cook, I'm floundering a bit for seasonally appropriate creative meals. But I've come up with several new 'brinner' dishes.
Eggs from a friend's farm - so fresh they haven't even been cleaned

Spring transitions habits too. More time outside -a garden to tend to. Beach trips. Evening walks. Winter means Bible studies and small groups and reading plans in full swing. Spring and summer feel lighter somehow, a throwback to 3 months of vacation. My study habits must transition as well as BSF winds down.

What are your Bible study plans for the summer? Who's reading what? Any summer study you've found particularly good or are excited to try?

Sweet Potato Skillet Fries
Perfect for 'brinner' or as a lower-carb alternative to corn bread with chili. The girls beg for these {and who doesn't want their kids begging for a vegetable}.

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 yellow or red bell pepper, seeded, and diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 T butter or olive oil
1 t paprika
1 t chili powder {or more to taste}
salt to taste

Heat butter or oil in large frying pan over medium high heat until smoking. Add sweet potato, onion, and bell pepper. Cook until onions become translucent then add spices. Continue cooking, stirring regularly until sweet potatoes are soft and edges start to brown. Serve warm.

Feeds 4.

Time: 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails