Tuesday, March 27, 2012

with Love Incorruptible

Grace be with all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with love incorruptible. Ephesians 6:24

Love incorruptible.

Is anything in me incorruptible? Can I even conceive of such a thing? A love that my sin cannot touch.

Aphtharsia {grk}: literally, no corruption 
              or
Unable to experience deterioration, lacking the very capacity to decay or constitutionally break down, incorruptibility, hence: immortality Strong's Greek Concordance

{Aphtharsia is used elsewhere to describe God's glory Romans 1:23; I Timothy 1:17 and the inheritance of the saints I Corinthians 9:25, 15:52; I Peter 1:4, 23, 3:4 }

Lots of bold letters, written shouting, because my head is spinning at the notion of love for Christ that is unable to decay. I can accept God's incorruptible glory and an immortal heavenly reward, because I have nothing to do with them - they exist regardless.

And that's what makes my heart race about this verse. If my love for God is incorruptible, then it cannot depend on me. My sinful heart is capable of corrupting anything. This love that lacks the capacity to diminish must come from the One who cannot decay, cannot corrupt, cannot deteriorate in any way.

Which means... I can trust my love for Christ. If my love depends on my fickle heart, then I should live in mortal fear that I will wake one morning with love extinguished. But, if my love for Christ is grace, part of the new creation package, a gift from God, it is sure. I wake every day sure that God's seal on me assures that my love for Him is incorruptible.


And I shout with Paul:

Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21

 Make your own seal - A creative reminder of our assurance in Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails