Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Boasting in Weakness

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 {Emphasis mine}

I envy joyful pregnant women, who see beauty in their bulging bellies and evidence of new life in every ache and pain. My heart is not well-muscled to see that grace. I moaned and groaned and watched an inordinate amount of television during both pregnancies. No one had ever been so sick. My migraines were the worst in history. I shouldn't have to cook or clean. Not remotely Paul's attitude.

{This is not a bizarre pregnancy announcement. Just an example.}

When confronted with Paul's thorn in the flesh, given to keep him humble through pain, pain that he rejoiced in because it made Jesus that much more beautiful, I am ashamed of my attitude.

Could migraines be a gift from the Lord to teach me dependence on Him?

That might be one of the strangest sentences I've ever written, but maybe it's God foolishness 1 Corinthians 1:18,25. The folly to the world that is actually the power of God, wiser than man can comprehend. Boasting in weakness - foolishness until you see the power of the cross shine through.

As I cry for humility {one of those dangerous 'don't pray it if you don't mean it' requests}, my gratitude builds for the persistent headaches that force me to rely on God. Release the urge for self-preservation so strong during weakness. Replace it with trust, trust in the All Sufficient.

I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. 2 Corinthians 12:15

Godly witness pours out of my outpouring. I spend my transient life for eternal reward. And maybe I do that best on my worst days.

For He was crucified in weakness, but lives by the power of God. 2 Corinthians 13:4

In my worst days, I find it easiest to crucify human effort and live by the power of God. With enough bad days, I might learn to live in His power on the good days, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails