Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Blueberry quinoa salad with shaved broccoli

Broccoli and I have never gotten along. Not a digestive thing. I just don't like broccoli Eee gads - The queen of whole grains and veggies doesn't like broccoli??? I know. It's a nutritional weakness.

After reading Alton Browns must-eat food list, I've made a serious effort to include broccoli in my weekly menu. Which means finding recipes where broccoli doesn't taste like broccoli.

My first brilliant find was over at Smitten Kitchen. Broccoli Cream Pesto, or 'green pasta.' The whole family went nuts for this one, even Momma {who doesn't like broccoli, remember}. Because it doesn't taste like broccoli.

Which got me thinking, maybe broccoli doesn't always have to overwhelm a dish with its broccoli-ness. Maybe I can incorporate broccoli into a dish and feature something other than broccoli. Thus, today's recipe. A cold quinoa salad with fresh blueberries and shaved broccoli. Shaving stemmy veggies makes the soft pith the focus instead of the outer skin. I think that's why this recipe works.

This salad is a great transition from winter to spring while broccoli is still in harvest and blueberries are first arriving. I made this my side for Easter dinner, as it makes plenty for sharing. Prepare ahead for best results.
Used the salad as a side to grilled salmon last night. Yumm-o!

Or serve as a light lunch
Blueberry Quinoa Salad with Shaved Broccoli

Ingredients

Salad
2 c quinoa
1 c fresh blueberries, washd
1 bunch broccoli stems {you can include the florets, finely chopped}
1/2 c pistachios
1/2 c crumbled feta

Dressing
1/4 c cherry pit vinegar {can substitute raspberry or red wine vinegar}
1/4 c olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon
1 T sugar
1 t salt
1/2 t black pepper

Directions
Cook quinoa in 4 c salted water {20-30 minutes}. When cooked, fluff with a fork and cool {takes about an hour}.  Using a peeler, shave broccoli stems into slivers {as seen in the warm asparagus salad}. In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients.

Mix dressing in a separate bowl until salt and sugar are incorporated and pour over salad. Stir well. Best if allowed to sit for at least an hour before serving.

Serve cold.

Another broccoli hit. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails