Friday, September 21, 2012

{In the beginning} GOD

Have you ever noticed how many times God appears in the story of creation? I haven't. It took a study asking me to underline his name for me to see him. And when I saw him, the creation became a blur, just a new list of stuff that HE was creating.

I usually read the first chapter of Genesis with a kids' Bible in mind. With questions like: What day did amphibians show up? Were they with the sea creatures or land animals? Were sea turtles and land turtles created at the same time? How about bacteria? And fungus? Where do they fit in? How did flowers pop up? {I envision time lapse.} Pointless ponderings. Fun to consider, but pointless.
source
Then I underlined the word God.

Did you know? It's not about the flowers or turtles or mountains or stars. It's about God. Over 50 times, about God.

And when you put aside the felt board illustrations, you see God and again, God.
Artist Alfred J. Smuskiewicz
The power in his word. He spoke, and it was so.

The wisdom in his plan. Everything ordered and provided for. Wisdom to build a universe in days that could sustain life for thousands of years.

The goodness of his will. The creator is very good, thus the work is very good. A reflection of its originator.

His sustaining hand. Oceans and land and plants first, then sun and moon. How can that be... except that every system is held together in him. Not a house of cards that must be built in an exact order or crash. He upholds this frail ecosystem even now.


The majesty of the creator reflected in the creation. And he saw that it was very good. As a building reflects the skill of the architect, so the world radiated the creator's glory

This is my Father’s world, the birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white, declare their Maker’s praise.
This is my Father’s world: He shines in all that’s fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass;
He speaks to me everywhere. ~~ M.C. Babcock, 1901 
Artist Michaelangelo

 P.S. Bible Study Fellowship is studying Genesis this year. As I learned from Acts and the epistles last year, I'm sure many lessons and posts will come from working through Genesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails