Monday, February 20, 2012

Reinvigorating Strength

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort...

Comfort - I think of my sister. Years of waiting to marry the man she loves. Sitting in Panera at a tall table with bottomless coffee and an egg souffle. She pours out her frustrations; I nod, murmur understanding. This-too-shall-pass speak. At ten, we part. Sis to face another week of waiting; me to send up a quick prayer and carry on until next week... when we have the same breakfast.

Who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God...

Was that a comfort? She felt better in the immediate. So yes, to some extent. But God comfort? In all affliction comfort?

For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort, too...

Comfort. Parakaleo. To be reinvigorated with strength. To call one alongside for help or aid. To give new heartsource

Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort. 2 Corinthians 1:3-7

Shallow sympathy nods over coffee don't hand out new, reinvigorated hearts. My unthinking murmured "yes" does not point back to the Father. How often have we heard (or said) "I just want to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way?" Really? Is that all we need? What about Godly hope for his glory and our righteousness?

My dear friend speaks Godly truth when my courage flags. She never lets me hang up without directing me to the all powerful Word of God. The only true power to transform my heart from one degree of glory to another 2 Corinthians 3:18.

I want to be that friend for others. A listening ear who gives true comfort, a transformed, empowered heart, rather than eased feelings. Be the friend to others that I want for myself.

Lord, please give me your holy words as I speak to my friends, that I might reinvigorate their strength. Let my faith be a comfort to those around me. I know you are faithful to complete a good work in and through me. Amen!



We enjoyed a beautiful weekend with the GP's. Run in circles with me, G-pa. Big one grasps a finger and leads the way. Small one drags instruments from one lap to the other, banging out her own melodies.

I'm so grateful for my dear in-laws. Even more when I hear of extended family feuds. Their family has changed mine, taught me to bend and relax and flow.

In early marriage, the selfish years of career love and ugly words, Dad always said: You guys are doing great. He wasn't blind to our struggles. He knew we needed the encouragement, the reinvigorated hearts that would keep fighting for our relationship. He knew we would grow into his words if he just said them often enough.

Thank you, Dad! Your consistent encouragement teaches me to practice the same for others.


1 comment:

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails