Friday, July 9, 2010

My Gift to the Youth Group

DH leaves in a week or so for his summer missions trip. Baby G is not exactly ready to help roof a house, so she and I are remaining at home. This will be the first missions trip I've missed, and to be honest, I'm feeling overprotective and controlling about the whole thing, but mainly the food.

For four years of trips (happy anniversary, honey), I've been chief cook and bottle washer as well as the unofficial nurse (have to put that medical training to use somehow). Now, I'm coaching from the sidelines, developing menus and shopping lists, trying to decide what I can prepare ahead of time and send with.

As usual, I will be sending an obscene number of rice krispie treats. They're a signature dish for me. Not that I can't make something more complicated, but in the quantity I'm making them, I prefer simple.

My secret to a not very secret dessert: Rice Krispie Treats

Ingredients:
Basics:
6 c rice krispies cereal
5 c of miniature marshmallows

3 T of butter
1-2 t vanilla
Non-stick baking spray with flour
Extras:
1 c crystal sprinkles - I used these at Christmas for the best rice krispies I'd ever made. Just sprinkle over the top. They will fall through the hot cereal and melt along the bottom.
1 - 2 c chocolate chips - cover the bottom of the pan with chocolate chips, then lay the hot cereal mix over the top for a chocolate base

Directions:
Using a large saucepan, melt the butter and marshmallows together over medium heat, stirring constantly (the microwave affects the consistency and flavor). Add vanilla and stir.
Remove from heat, add cereal and mix thoroughly.
Place in well greased brownie pan and allow to cool.

When I make these for the youth group, I usually make 6 lasagna trays worth. As you can imagine, I use a lot of marshmallows! However, there was a high demand for them with our first youth group. They've been known to disappear within 24 hours - yes, all six trays. Hopefully, it will be a good nostalgic item for DH while he's away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails