Saturday, August 11, 2012

On art {a brief post with little expertise}

Big one: Mud-der, are you taking pictures of me coloring for the bawg?

Me: Yes. Is it okay if I put you on the blog today?

Big one: Umm... I don't know.

Me: Do you want to see the blog first?

Big one: Yes. Show me at the hospital.

We are enjoying their new rainy day find. A large blackboard DH restored from the curb. Big one slashes gray lines, over and over, clumped together than farther apart.
Me: What are you drawing?

Big one: Rain.

She continues to trace the fall of rain drops down the board. When her storm gets bigger, she draws faster and closer together, slamming chalk.



I think back to the obtuse honors art seminar I sat through, mostly with a vacant stare. One of the weeks featured preschool art and what it said about their perception of the world. I won't bore you with all the details {I didn't follow all the 'art speak' then and don't remember most of it now}, but I think back to this scribble of a lawn mower, actually a circular mess. The hip young professor waxed poetic about the child following the movement, the concept of the machine rather than the physical appearance. I sat in class thinking, If I'm supposed to identify it as a lawnmower, it needs to resemble the physical appearance of a lawnmower.

Of course, when my preschooler is drawing the movement and concept of rain, I think it's pretty cool, and I easily see the resemblance. I even get that the big circle is a barn because it encloses all the animals. Funny how our perception changes when our kids are involved.

Con't think that I get art any more now than I ever did. DH and I recently enjoyed an overnight in Richmond. After a fabulous dinner, we headed to the gallery district for opening night. We picked our way through half a dozen galleries before agreeing that we are simply not cool enough for artists. Outside of the occasional mixed media piece, we were lost. Scanning canvas, head cocked, eyes searching other 'patrons' thinking, Maybe if I had as much to drink as they have, this would make sense. Probably not.
Speaking of art, big one pain-stakingly arranged this chalk sculpture 'for the bawg.'
Art is a peculiar science, and very much in the beholder's eye. Not unlike a blog. For those of you who have had enough of the renaissance kool-aid to get the concept behind the hashes, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails