Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hypo- and Hyper-

I learned in Endocrinology that hypo- and hyper-, low and high, were opposites that could not exist together. You cannot have both an over-functioning and under-functioning thyroid, both too much and not enough calcium. One or the other.

But that's not the law I see at work in myself. Instead, I see hypocrisy coupled with a hyper-critical nature, feeding each other. Staring at and pronouncing judgment on specks in others' eyes. Blinded to logs in my own eye. Matthew 7:1-5

When I finally catch sight of the log in my peripheral vision {who wants to look at sin head on}, I'm revolted and ashamed. Head hung in hands before the throne. Only half believing God's grace is big enough for the darkness inside.
Recently, I heard a man say that he felt like he believed in God, but God didn't believe in him.

That idea sat with me in a troublesome way. The lie behind it so insidious and pervasive that it took a while to dig it out.

God is the only one who believes in us. He is the only one who sees who we actually are, I mean deep into the shadows we don't even travel to.


We never disappoint God because we never surprise him with our sin. Not that our sin is trivial to him; it's just not disappointing. Disappointment finds it's root in unmet expectations. God expects us to be exactly who we are. And He extends grace to exactly us.

Grace to exactly me, hyper-critical hypocrite that I am.

Big one says of her sin that it breaks God's heart. But immediately follows up with, Jesus fixed God's heart on the cross. Jesus fixes my heart. Jesus fixes Mommy's heart. Jesus fixes Daddy's heart. Jesus fixes Sissy's heart.

Only Jesus can tackle hyper-, hypo- conditions. Only he washes so completely that even the sin we can't look at is covered over, leaving nothing but Christ-righteousness.

Can I get a "Hallelujah!"

1 comment:

  1. This morning's timely and encouraging word:
    "Who can discern his errors? Declare me innocent from hidden faults. Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.
    "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." Psalm 19:12-14

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails