Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chai Tea

I feel defeated. Baby girl climbs my leg like a cat on tree. So much strength in her 18 pounds. A long weekend leaves a cranky baby with high demands. Big one has forgotten her training. More accidents than successes this week. Potty is for playing. Pants for pooing. I want to reach for diapers. Am I really that tired? Just a pre-lunch slump. Lunch at two because I haven't been able to stop sooner.

Cold morning. Room temperature doesn't feel as warm when the sun is obscured by clouds. I pull a hot cup of tea close, feeling steam on my face. Sun pokes out, illuminating jet streams from 1 o'clock F-22's. My fingers regain their flex. An afternoon pick me up to send me peaceful into arsenic hour. A  quick prayer, word of thanks, and reminder of this morning's verse, "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy." I need rest if only for a moment.
Does tea really fix all evils? According to my crazy tea store lady, yes. The warm cup gives me time, quiet. I sit before the Lord, lay my burdens at his feet and breathe deep. Tea demands sipping, a rest stop from my motherly duties. A brewed sabbath.


Chai Tea
Original recipe from my MIL with some adjustments on my end

Ingredients:
2 c milk
2 c water
2 "family size" tea bags
1/4 c turbinado or raw sugar (can use honey or agave nectar)
1 t vanilla
3 cinnamon sticks (2 t ground cinnamon)
6 cardamom pods (2 t ground cardamom)
6 cloves (1/2 t ground cloves)
4 peppercorns (1/4 t ground pepper)
2 pieces crystalized ginger (1 t ground ginger)
1/4 t salt

Directions:
Bring water and milk to a near boil. (If liquid boils, allow to cool slightly before adding tea). With string from tea bag, tie spices in a double piece of cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Add tea, sugar and spices to water and milk and simmer to desired strength, 15-20 minutes.


1 comment:

Your thoughts are important. I love to read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails